By APD writer Aditya Nugraha
JAKARTA, Jan. 1 (APD) -- Indonesian searchers retrieved 5 bodies from mud and debris from a landslide that swept a village in West Java province’s regency of Sukabumi on Tuesday, continuing search for 38 others declared missing in the disaster, a senior disaster mitigation agency said.
Indonesia’s National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) Spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said joint searcher team recovered 3 more bodies as of Tuesday morning, adding up the death count since Monday night.
“We previously found 2 bodies on Monday night. The latest finding on bodies of one male, one female and one baby has made the death toll so far at 5,” Sutopo said in a statement.
He said the landslide occurred in Sukabumi’s village of Sirnaresmi has affected at least 30 houses in the village resided by 32 families that consisted of 107 lives.
Sixty-one of the villagers were now placed in refugee camp after they survived the landslide that took place in the afternoon following heavy downpour around the location, he said, adding that 3 more survivors were now treated in a district health center due to injuries they suffered from the landslide.
Death tolls feared to rise further as search team national search and rescue agency (Basarnas), police and military personnel as well as volunteers encountered difficulties from unstable ground around the landslide location.
All of the missing ones were suspected still buried under the thick mud and debris of their houses collapsed by the landslide.
The search was still conducted manually without help from excavators and heavy duty equipment due to severed access to the village.
(ASIA PACIFIC DAILY)